"Theatre is the happiest loophole of escape for those who have secretly put their childhood in their pockets and have gone off with it to play to the end of their days."
Ken Sonkin is a jack of all trades, master of some. Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, he has made his artistic home in the San Francisco Bay Area where he is a director, actor, teacher, and magician. To learn more, click here.
My idea of great theater begins with "Does it hit me in the gut?"
I am a passionate storyteller and I love doing it both in front of and behind the footlights. I'm drawn to looking at the entire spectrum of the human condition including our strengths and weaknesses, loves and fears; through comedy, drama, musicals, classical, variety arts, dance, poetry, and everything in between.
I love actors, directors, writers, designers, and technicians—how we can make magic. With whatever project I'm immersed in, I hope that I grow, and in turn, help others around me grow as well. As an artist, I take great pride in helping people do better than they thought they could.
I love what a ghost light does in a darkened theater... shadows and wonder. —Ken Sonkin
- Acting Instructor, University of San Francisco | 2020-21
- Careers in Performing Arts Instructor, University of San Francisco | Fall 2020
- Senior Projects Mentor, University of San Francisco | 2020-21
- Director, Fragile Decisions by Elizabeth Appell, The Marsh | Mon. March 1, 2021
- Producer, 20th Anniversary PASJ Cabaret, University of San Francisco | April 24, 2021